Baby Countdown!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baby Gaunt!

We wanted to start this blog so grandparents, family, and friends could keep up with what is going with our pregnancy and later the baby - plus what is going on with Jesse and I. So this our attempt...

We found out we were pregnant in early November! Prior to, and over one weekend, I was not feeling well and slightly nauseous. After a few days I noticed the nausea was not going away and made a joke with Jesse that we might need to get a pregnancy test. We both laughed at this and thought nothing more about it. We were not trying to get pregnant and were not aware of it being a possiblity at all. Then I started to notice a few other symptoms I had heard come with pregnancy, so I started to think back and really consider the possiblity of being pregant. Then the pieces started coming together:

1) I remembered my cousin Melody and I joking that I might be pregnant. Melody got married on Saturday, Oct. 18th and I helped her with her wedding. Thursday night before the wedding we were at Garden Ridge getting wedding stuff. As we were standing in line to purchase our stuff, I mentioned to Melody that I felt funny and that I was having wierd cramps. That is when we joked that maybe I was pregnant. Little did we know that I WAS!! 5 days pregnant. (Crazy!)

2) THEN I remembered that the weekend before Jesse and I had attended another wedding - a friend of his family's - on Oct. 11th. On the way to the wedding, we had to take a detour due to a roadblock in the middle of downtown Anderson. This got us off track with our directions, and eventually ended up in a big, but silly argument between us. We arrived at the wedding without being able to settle our dispute and having to get out of the car. I hate when that happens. So, we were really feuding, be we had to put on our smiles and be around lots of people and pretend all was okay. It ended up working out, as afterwards we talked and later we "made up". (And not knowing it at the time - "made baby"!! Sorry if this is TMI for anyone - he he.)

3) THEN I remembered (I have the craziest memory and can recall the tiniest details at time), having ALMOST made a joke with Jesse around the weekend of Oct. 11th. A friend of mine, Missy, had recently mentioned to me the best time to try for a baby. She had mentioned a specific symptom and I noticed this symptom in myself. After noticing, I remembered walking into the living room and almost saying out loud to Jesse - hey, if we want to try for baby, now is the time! But I didn't say it out loud.

4) THEN I put all the peices together. I realized that we did indeed take advantage of that time without conciously doing it, that we didn't take precaution, and that I indeed could have been feeling symptoms when I was with Melody.

It is still so crazy to me that all of this happened and came together and we were so oblivous to it all. We had not set out to get pregnant and I have heard of so many people having trouble or planning for a baby and having to "try" and I just assumed when we conciously decided to have a baby that we would have to plan and try. And I secretly had a fear that I would be unable to have kids for some reason. I did not think that it would be sooo easy for us! But, we had always said that we wanted to wait at least two years after we were married (it was now three years) and we wanted to wait till Jesse graduated (it was November and he graduated in December) and till he had an architectural job - the one peice that has not fallen in place yet!

So, as I realized being pregnant could really be possible, I tracked Jesse down in the bedroom on Sunday night and explained why we really might want to get a test. So, Jesse brought home a pregnancy test the next day after work. I was asleep in the bed, still feeling bad. He gave me the bag and I went to take the test, still not thinking that I was REALLY pregnant. And sure enough, within seconds the vertical line popped up on the test - a line that only appears if it is positive!! I opened the bathroom door with a big smile on my face, feeling like I had bug eyes, and told Jesse we were pregnant! Still in disbelief. He looked at me quizzically. I explained that there was a vertical line already, and that this line only appeared if the test was positive. He mentioned that the directions for the test said you needed to wait for 2 minutes when you take the test. I explained that it could take UP TO two minutes, but that if it was positive it could show as early as 30 seconds. The horizontal line had not popped up yet, to complete the + and Jesse said that he was not looking again until two minutes were up! And he went into the kitchen and tried to preoccupy himself, as he paced and smiled. I laughed at him, knowing this vertical line was not going to disappear. But I waited the two minutes and showed it to him again. He was still in disbelief, and even though I knew it was really a positive test it still didn't feel real. As I was sitting on the couch in shock, Jesse came over and got down on his knees, took my hands, and prayed with me - thanking God and praying for me and the "possible" baby, and us. After his prayer and he kissed me I called him "daddy"! He told me not to call him that yet, because we still were not sure!! (What would it take?!) But he was a believer by the next day as we did tell both of our parents. Then the following day I confirmed it at my doctor!

Even after the doctor confirmed it, and we knew we were pregnant, it didn't feel real to us. My nausea only got worse and I had an extremely sick and difficult time every day, every hour, every minute, for over 6 weeks. This was actually a very difficult time for both of us and we had not been able to become excited about it all, because of the sickness and hardship. But around the beginning of January, pregnancy week 11/12, I started to improve. Then we had our first ultrasound in January and we saw our peanut for the first time. That is when it finally felt real, and related to an actual baby, for the both of us. And that is when we both started to be extremely excited! Now we are thrilled and can't wait for HIM to get here. We found out on Feb. 18th that we are having a baby boy! We are still contemplating names and don't have one nailed down yet. My dad is rooting for "Ford" to be in there somewhere, being my dad's middle name - it is also part of my grandfather and great-grandfather's names. I would do it for sentimental reason, but Jesse is not a fan.

Our baby boy wiggles and moves all the time! I love it. Jesse has felt him move about a time or two. I am definitely looking pregnant as my belly grows. As of last week I had gained 5 pounds, but it is all in a big round ball in the front. The doc said ideally one gains 5 pounds in the first two trimesters - as I have - and 20 pounds in the third trimester. Twenty?!? So, I have 20 pounds to go?!? Wow. And I think I feel full and bloated now. Had trouble painting my toenails the other day. I think it is only the beginning. . .

Well, that is the basics of our baby story thus far! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment